Monday, March 23, 2009

Push Mike Knox



When Mike Knox (pictured on the right booting that fool in the face) first debuted on the new ECW he was Kelly Kellys jealous boyfriend he looked more sleazy than intimidating. He maintained his heat by covering Kelly up whenever she felt the need to start stripping her clothes off, she was an exhibitionist then you see. Naturally his actions upset the male demographic, I can sum this up easily below...


1. Am I going to see a naked woman? Yes. Hooray!

2. Am I going to see a naked woman? No. I hate this

It's a simple concept for a character which works and couple that with his size, strength and speed and you have the tools for something decent. His mic skills are either non existent or have yet to be explored, I have not seen this from him yet so I can not say for sure. I think in time though it could be something that could be taught, assuming they're bad.

Anyways, he goes on a hiatus for a bit and then debuts on RAW. Now a single man who is silent, brutal and has long hair and an amazing beard much like a viking. Now he looks badass, we're making strides here. Then his first action is to attack Rey Mysterio and beat him viciously and appear out of nowhere when he does. Now he is a badass, mysterious, viking looking guy who is beating up a former world champion with ease. I am still into this at this point. Then when finally asked why he is doing what he has been doing to Rey Mysterio he says he does not know, he just does it... at this point I am sold. He is just a brutal looking guy who just beats people up, it is simple and I'm officially into this.

I feel like Knox has a lot of potential for growth if they give him the right opponents. I don't really feel that is what has been done for him thus far. Squash matches don't really do anything for character development to me. I know Mike Knox can beat up Johnny Red Trunks from Hoboken with ease, a jobber can be seen from a mile away. I want to see him beat people who matter with meaningful feuds. While he was in the elimination chamber at No Way Out he was eliminated early and has not really been seen much since. I am nervous that he is going to fade away at this point, which would be a shame. He needs a standout match with a legitimate opponent so the audience knows he will be around long enough so they can get behind him.

An example I often use when I talk about making new characters seem legitimate is when Gene Snitsky first fought Kane. This was back during the time when Lita had a miscarriage, while carrying Kane's bastard child, due to Gene Snitsky knocking her over. Naturally Kane is upset as we all find out that Kane has apparently always dreamed of being a daddy so he challenges Snitsky to a match! You can't just let a guy get away with this after all. What was supposed to be Kane getting the last laugh turned into Gene Snitsky crushing his windpipe with a steel chair. Snitsky won and all of sudden you know that Snitsky is serious now.

Mike Knox needs a match like this before the WWE creative team lets him fade into obscurity. He has a good look, good movement in the ring for a large man and he is young. Give this guy a legitimate push already.

2 comments:

  1. Go youtube Bruiser Brody, and then picture Knox doing similar to every fool on the roster. That would print money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete