Thursday, June 25, 2009

Best wrestling show?

I asked myself this evening "Which WWE show is the best?". I thought about it for a bit and weighed the pros and cons of each show but came to the conclusion that the best overall show, in my opinion, is ECW.

For a show that is half the length of RAW and Smackdown, it has just as much actual wrestling. Match quality is a big thing for me. I prefer a back and forth match with a variety of holds that is not formulaic. It's difficult not to find a match like that when watching ECW. You will also note the surprising amount of clean finishes for a WWE program. Call me old fashioned but I like seeing those, a significant loss or win is enough motivation for any wrestlers character in my book. Overall you can expect fast paced and interesting matches by a good mix of up and coming talent and seasoned pros. Why wouldn't you enjoy that?

That brings me to my next reason for loving ECW so much, the roster. The young talent on this show is pretty exceptional. You may remember me shitting all over the Hart Dynasty for their name but in the ring they are a boat load of fun to watch. Jack Swagger, already a former champion, is simply impressive. He has excellent mat skills and his size and power are over the top. Evan Bourne is quite possibly the next Rey Mysterio in my opinion, always a blast to watch him perform. In addition to these new guys you have a sound mix of veterans like Christian, Tommy Dreamer and Finlay. They may not be the biggest names in the business but they know how to put on a show and they do it every week.

The announce team is another pro for me. Josh Matthews and Matt Stryker are entertaining to listen to and they provide poignant commentary. Who would have thought such a combination was still a possibility nowadays. I especially love that Matt Stryker is a heel commentator. Finally a commentator helping to put over heel talent! It feels like no one has done that since Bobby Heenan, I know that's not true but it is how I feel.

If you have been missing this show because you don't feel like it's that important or it's lame then I highly suggest you re-think your position on this. Set your DVR or download the weekly episodes. ECW is a strong hour of wrestling that will remind you just what pro wrestling is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment